Estate Planning in San Diego County
Many times, questions that are far too important are left unresolved. When you die without a properly written, signed, and notarized last will and testament, the costs of transferring everything you have worked for to your family can cost thousands of dollars and take a year or longer as it goes through a process called probate.
If you want to properly protect yourself and your family, it is important to have a trust – a legal instrument designed to make sure your family is protected and your hard-earned property goes to whomever you wish. At Garmo & Garmo, LLP, our attorneys take the time from the beginning to understand your situation, to create a customized plan for you and your family.
Proper Estate Planning allows you to plan for:
- Yourself and loved ones without giving up control;
- Your current and future concerns for family members;
- The possibility of your own disability;
- What you own to go to whom, when, and the way you want;
- Fully disclosed and controlled costs; and
- Your dreams and goals for yourself, your family, and your assets.
If you do not properly designate in a trust who you want to inherit everything after your death, the State of California will make that decision for you. If you have not made written plans, a judge will decide who will raise your minor children. Without the proper documents, if you become incompetent or incapacitated the Court – not your family – will make decisions about your care. Furthermore, in the event of the need for long term care, a nursing home, or Medi-Cal assistance, your assets, including your home, may be consumed to pay for your care.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do I have a written plan to take care of my family in the event I am unable to?
- Who will take care of my spouse when I die? My minor children or elderly parents?
- Have I identified and valued my assets?
- What happens to my property once I become disabled or die?
For more information regarding Estate Planning, please call us at 619-441-2500 for a free consultation today!
Back to Practice Areas