Car Accident Lawyers Representing People Hurt in Motor Vehicle Crashes in San Diego County
As San Diego continues to expand, we become increasingly dependent on the city’s roads and freeways to get where we need to go; whether that be a business meeting downtown, picking our kids up from the beach, or simply running errands in East County. This translates to more vehicles on the road, and, in turn, more dangerous driving conditions. Automobile accidents are more common than ever, but no less shocking or less stressful for accident victims.
At Garmo & Garmo, LLP, we understand how an automobile accident can disrupt and change a person’s life, especially when the accident causes you bodily injury, destroys your vehicle, and prevents you from working and caring for your family as you normally do. Our firm has in-depth experience handling all types of auto accident cases, and we put our skills, knowledge and resources to work toward ensuring you receive maximum compensation for the injuries and losses you have suffered because of the accident.
Some of the car accident claims we handle include:
- Hit and run car accidents
- Collisions with motorcycles
- Collisions with large trucks and other commercial vehicles
- Collisions with buses
- Alcohol and drug-related auto accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- Intersection collisions
- Rollover accidents
- Road design defect accidents
When an automobile accident occurs, usually someone is at fault. Whether you were hit by another driver, or you were a passenger in a vehicle that was involved in a car accident, you may have a personal injury claim for damages.
An automobile accident can occur for many different reasons, including:
- Careless or reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Distracted driving (e.g., texting while driving, eating while driving, etc.)
- Driving while drowsy
- Mechanical problems
- Motor vehicle part defects
- Poor driving conditions
What to Do if you are Involved in a Car Accident
There are very few incidents that are more unsettling than getting into an auto accident. This is especially true if you did not see it coming and you or one of your passengers is injured. If this happens to you, it is best to stay calm, assess the scene, and take some proactive steps to make sure everyone is taken care of and the scene is secured.
Here are some essential steps you should take if you are in a motor vehicle accident:
- Get Medical Help: The first priority is to treat anyone who has injuries right away. In this type of situation, you may not know the extent of the injuries sustained by those involved, including yourself. Some severe injuries are not always obvious. This may include whiplash, neck, back, and spine injuries, and internal bleeding. Everyone who was part of the accident should be checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible.
- Contact the Police: In California, any crash that results in injuries or death needs to be reported to the local police or the California Highway Patrol. A police report is an important record of what happened during the accident. The police examine the scene, speak with witnesses, and write up their report. This report is often used to determine who is at fault for the crash. Obtain a copy of the police report as soon as you can, so you can review it for any inaccuracies.
- Keep your Own Report: Though not required, it is a good idea to write down everything that happened (as you remember it) while it is fresh in your mind. In addition, gather as much evidence as you can to substantiate your version of events. Take multiple photos of the accident scene from as many angles as possible, if you have a dashboard camera that was running, capture and save any video footage you may have, and obtain the contact information of anyone who may have witnessed the incident.
- Notify your Insurance Company: Virtually every auto insurance contract requires you to report any accidents within a reasonable amount of time, this means generally within about 72 hours after the incident occurred. When you contact your insurance carrier, just report the facts and keep your remarks brief. Do NOT admit any fault to your insurance company or anyone else. Leave that for the experts to sort out. Remember, your words can be used against you, even by your own insurer.
- Contact a Skilled Car Accident Attorney: If you or someone close to you was injured in a motor vehicle accident, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney, so you fully understand your rights and options. Insurance companies often make lowball offers to auto accident injury victims, so they can settle the case quickly and get it off their books. Do NOT accept any settlement offer from an insurer without first speaking to your lawyer.
As soon as you meet with one of our automobile accident lawyers, we will begin a thorough evaluation of your case, discuss your options, and set you on the right course of action. During the days, weeks, and months following your auto accident, we will determine who may be held responsible for your injuries and damages and pursue compensation from all liable parties. This may include insurance companies, vehicle part manufacturers, road maintenance companies, city planners, and more. It is important to work with an experienced San Diego County auto accident attorney, so your case will be properly appraised, and you will be in the best possible position to obtain a favorable result.
Our El Cajon auto accident attorneys are honest, straightforward, and down-to-earth. We are not going to tell you that every fender bender requires the help of a personal injury lawyer. What we will tell you is that if you sustained a serious injury that adversely that affects your quality of life, causes you pain and suffering, causes you to miss time at work, or may affect your earning potential in the future, you need skilled legal counsel in your corner aggressively advocating for your rights and interests.
Speak with a Seasoned El Cajon Car Accident Attorney
An experienced lawyer from Garmo & Garmo, LLP can take the stress of an auto accident off your shoulders by protecting you from the insurance company’s demands, collecting evidence and building a strong claim, completing and submitting all necessary forms in time, and standing by you in court, if necessary.
Don’t go it alone after being injured in a motor vehicle accident. Seek the advice and guidance of an experienced automobile accident lawyer. To schedule a free case evaluation, please call us at 619-441-2500. If we can help, we’ll get started on your case immediately with no upfront costs and no attorney’s fees until we obtain compensation on your behalf.
Back to Personal Injury