Close Menu
Garmo & Garmo Attorneys at Law LLP
Languages Spoken: Arabic Chaldean Spanish
  • facebook
  • twitter
Fairness, Integrity, Results Free Initial Consultation

Immigration Lawyers in San Diego County

immigration lawyers in san diego countyThe attorneys at Garmo & Garmo LLP have over 50 years of combined experience practicing Immigration Law. With this extensive experience, our Attorneys continue to be in the center of the ever-changing landscape of immigration law having tried and appealed cases to the Board of Immigration Appeals, the 9th, 1st, 5th, and 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, and to the Administrative Appeals Unit (AAU). The immigration attorneys at Garmo and Garmo, LLP have helped thousands of clients from over 200 countries worldwide, with cases involving:

  • Asylum,
  • Deportation & Removal,
  • Family Based Immigration (Green Card),
  • Employment Based Immigration,
  • Investment based visas,
  • Citizenship & Naturalization,
  • Temporary Visas including visitors, students, and professionals


Asylum may be granted to an individual who has a well-founded fear of persecution in his home country on account of race, religion, political opinion, nationality, or particular social group. The well-founded fear of persecution can be in the past or in the future. Asylum is a discretionary form of relief and the asylum officer or the court can use various different factors in determining whether the applicant deserves the relief he or she seeks.

Deportation & Removal

Most people think that once they receive their permanent resident status, they could no longer be deported or removed from the United Sates; however, this is not true. Since 1990, the U.S. has passed laws that greatly impact the consequences of a permanent resident alien. Currently, an alien may be removed from the U.S. for various reasons including the commission of a felony, two separate crimes involving moral turpitude, even misdemeanors, most drug offenses, and for failure to maintain status. Garmo & Garmo has defended hundreds of clients facing removal from the United States.

Family Based Immigration

This is the most popular method for people to come to the U.S. on a permanent basis. The two vehicles used for permanent immigration are adjustment of status and visa processing. Adjustment of status occurs when someone is in the U.S. on a temporary valid visa such as visitor visa, student visa, or work visa, who wants to adjust their status to a permanent resident. Visa processing is for those persons outside the U.S. who want to immigrate to the U.S. after their visas become current.

Employment Based Immigration

Employment based immigration is also a very popular method for workers to come to the U.S. and work, either temporarily or permanently. Some temporary employment visas include H-1B, specialty occupation visas, L-1 – inter-company transferee visas, and TN –Trade Nafta Visas. Permanent employment based immigration can be summarized into five categories including E1): Priority Workers; Employment Second Preference (E2): Professionals Holding Advanced Degrees and Persons of Exceptional Ability; Employment Third Preference (E3): Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Unskilled Workers (Other Workers); Employment Fourth Preference (E4): Certain Special Immigrants; Employment Fifth Preference (E5): Immigrant Investors.

  • EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program
  • EB-5 Questions and Answers

Investment Based Visas

Investment Based Visas can be temporary or permanent. For those countries that have treaties with the U.S., citizens of those countries can come to the U.S. on a temporary E-1 or E-2 investment visa. There is no minimum amount of investment; however, the investment must be substantial. If an alien wants to invest $1,000,000 or $500,000 in some cases, the alien can immigrate to the U.S. using an employment based 5th preference (E-B5) visa.

Citizenship & Naturalization

The attorneys at Garmo & Garmo LLP have handled thousands of cases dealing with citizenship & naturalization. Typically, once an alien reaches four years and nine months of permanent resident alien status (Green Card), or two years and nine months if they are married to a U.S. citizen, they may apply for naturalization. There are other requirements and qualifications in order to apply for naturalization, including good moral character, residency, and the ability to speak, read, and write the English language.

Temporary Visas

There are many types of visas available to aliens who wish to enter the U.S. on a temporary basis. Some examples include B-1 visitor visa, F-1 student visas, H-1B employment visas, TN – Trade Nafta visas, J-1 student exchange visas, and many more. Typically to apply for any of the temporary visas, an alien must demonstrate to the U.S. government that they intend to return to their home country once their visa expires.

For more information about your Immigration needs, please call us at 619-441-2500 for a free consultation today!

Back to Practice Areas

Share This Page:
Sundown Legal Marketing Powered by NextClient

© 2017 - 2019 Garmo & Garmo, Attorneys at Law, LLP. All rights reserved.
This is a Sundown Legal Marketing law firm website.