Car accidents have the potential to cause catastrophic or permanent injuries, including crush injuries. Injured victims that experience crush injuries in a car accident face serious medical risks that can be life-threatening and irreversible without timely and proper medical attention.
To hold the negligent driver liable for your crush injuries and obtain your rightful damages, you should hire a trusted car accident attorney with the knowledge and experience of dealing with crush injury cases.
Effects of a Crush Injury in a Car Accident in California
Crush injury is the result of extreme pressure or force exerted by a heavy object on the body. This type of injury generally happens when one vehicle hits another at high speeds. Drivers of smaller vehicles are particularly vulnerable if they get into an accident with a larger vehicle, such as an SUV or a truck.
The risk of a crush injury goes up when the collision force of impact is greater. Bicyclists, motorcycle riders, and pedestrians are at a high risk of crush injury if they get hit by another vehicle. These are the initial effects of a crash-related crush injury:
- Nerve damage
- Severe bleeding (usually internal)
- Multiple fractures
- Crushed muscles
Risks Involved in a Crush Injury
Victims that get trapped under the crash debris are at a high risk of life-threatening complications. Their torso or legs usually get trapped underneath the wreckage. There are several factors that increase the risks associated with car accident injuries:
- Amount of tissue injured
- Victim’s age and overall health
- Force and duration of compression
- Underlying condition of the victim before the crash
Crush injuries following a car accident can be complicated. They require aggressive and immediate medical intervention. This is even before the victim is extricated from the crash wreckage. Unfortunately, even with immediate emergency care, crush accident victims face multiple risks, such as:
- Limb ischemia: Limb ischemia occurs due to loss of blood supply to the extremity. It increases the likelihood of the victim requiring an amputation. Victims may suffer cardiac death if not treated in a timely manner.
- Compartment syndrome: The force and pressure on the damaged area can cause muscle cells to swell. This can deprive the cells and any surrounding nerves of blood. Victims usually experience paresthesia (pins and needles) and severe pain. In severe cases, immediate surgical intervention is usually required.
- Rhabdomyolysis: Also known as crush syndrome, this condition occurs because of the breakdown of cell integrity arising from severe damage to the skeletal muscle tissue. The body releases multiple toxins when muscle cells begin to die. This can cause widespread metabolic effects, including kidney failure and death.
Getting the required medical attention for preventing these risks is important. Crush injuries can require expensive and long-term treatment. You should consult with a capable personal injury attorney to find ways of maximizing compensation.
Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI) is Important in Your Crush Injury Claim
It can be tempting to accept the first settlement offer made by the insurance company after your crush injury. But you should not accept any compensation till you have achieved maximum medical improvement (MMI). Once you accept a settlement offer, you will lose your right to seek further compensation. This applies even if a new injury associated with the accident becomes apparent only later.
A skilled crush injury lawyer can help you obtain maximum compensation for your injuries, property loss, and other damages. No amount of money can reverse your pain and injuries – but it can help you move forward with your life by receiving the care you need.
Having solid representation can ensure that your rights are protected. Studies show that victims with legal representation are usually awarded more compensation.
These are a few other ways that a top-rated crush injury attorney can help you with a legal claim:
- Preventing you from doing or saying things that may harm your claim. For instance, they will stop you from posting something on social media that will probably be used against you by the insurance company.
- Investigating the crash and collecting all possible physical and forensic evidence from the accident site, eyewitness accounts, photos and video footage, and medical documentation.
- Hiring expert witnesses, including accident reconstructionists, medical specialists, and financial accountants to establish your rightful claim to maximum damages.
- Calculating the value of the claim for ensuring you receive maximum compensation.
- Negotiating with the insurers and other defendants on your behalf for the largest possible settlement.
- Preparing meticulously to take your case to trial in case an out-of-court settlement is not possible.
It’s crucial that you are diligent in following the doctor’s advice. You may impede your ability to recover without treatment even if you become stabilized and start feeling better.
Your injuries may become worse or get extended if you ignore your doctor’s recommendations. In addition, any missed doctor’s appointments may cause the insurers to devalue your claim. The insurance company may damage your credibility by saying that your injuries are not as bad as you may be claiming.
Discuss a Winning Legal Strategy with our Attorneys to Maximize Damages
If you or someone you love sustained injury in a car crash caused by another’s fault, the experienced and competent car accident attorneys at Garmo & Garmo, LLP can help you maximize your compensation and obtain the justice you deserve.
Our personal injury attorneys are dedicated to employing all available resources to prove the liability of the negligent parties and pursue the most favorable outcome. To schedule your free confidential consultation with our legal team, call us at 619-441-2500 or write to us online.